Hey Otto Builders! We are very excited to announce that today we have launched a new community program:
What does that means?
Otto DIY is Connecting the Global Otto Builder Community.
Otto DIY Vision is to enable anyone in the world, teachers, parents, kids makers, and leaders to connect, share, learn and grow with each other. We believe in order to empower the Otto robot revolution, we need to transform the formal and no formal Otto Builders into an integrated global community.
Who we are?
Otto DIY project started in 2016, with the mission to empower anyone in the world to
successfully build their own robot through the help of open source hardware, accessible technology education and community,
Otto Builder community is all about sharing robots & getting feedback, and meeting all kinds of people that want to build robots.
Over the last three years, the Otto DIY community has grown immensely, both in size and composition. We’ve welcomed 7 to 99 years old, people who already make their own robots to Builders who are just starting out, educators to parents, artists to coders. You have showed us that anyone can build a robot, and we want to support you to keep building.
What’s a Otto Builders Club?
These are local hubs of building, where members of all ages, backgrounds and abilities can feel supported by a global community and empowered to create. Clubs inspire Builders around the world to tinker, channel their inner maker, save the world, or just learn a new skill with friends.
Who can start a Club?
Anyone! All you need are a few Ottos, some friends, and a space to build. Clubs can be informal family meetups, tree-house hangouts, after-school programs, libraries, classrooms, or maker-spaces.
What do I need to start a club?
- At least 2 members and a Club leader who is 18 or older. We welcome groups of friends, families, classrooms, after'school spaces, maker-spaces, Fab Labs and more to start a Club!
- One robot, any robot. Or lots of robots. Or individual electronic parts of Otto. You don’t have to have a lot, but you will need some parts to build with.
- A space to build. Robot building happens everywhere; classrooms, kitchen tables, maker-spaces, park benches, etc.
Have already built at least one functional Otto, or at least similar robot.
What do we get for becoming a club?
Exclusive Learning Resources + Content
- Access to information of curated resources that will help your Club get started
quickly and keep them learning and building, overcome challenges and help you getting Otto robots to your workshops. We will add new robots and resources regularly and invite you to post your own!
- Access to all our marketing materials, branding and design to promote your events and attract more new Builders.
- Otto Builders Club spotlight featuring cool new robots from other Club members,
building tips, videos and more. Stay update on the latest trends in opensource robots like Otto.
- A digital Otto builder Club certificate! for you to print, frame and hang in your space or put wherever you want.
Your will get own super cool country official badge to use these in any way you’d like.
Access to a Global Robot Builders Network
- Access to the Otto Builders Facebook groups for Club Leaders. This is a global support network of other makers, educators, and mentors to share knowledge and expertise.
Become an Otto Builder leader in your city or even for the whole country!
Join the Otto world domination to make robotics accessible to everyone.
- Otto Builders Club call; a monthly video hangout live with Camilo the Founder of Otto DIY, where we share updates, feature Clubs doing awesome work, and show you the future robots that are under develop., new opensource projects and educational activities.
- Promotion of your club’s robots built through our blog, social media, and all our partners. This is a great way to highlight the wonderful work from your Club!
We will promote and add you to the Otto Builders map as official club with your dedicated pin that will bring you lots of people interest.
We will create a group dedicated to your club connected to our Facebook account and yours too if you want.
- Access to special offerings and exclusive kits discounts!
- We often put out calls for special events, programs, contests and even to test upcoming robots for the community to be a part of our design process.
- Other amazing opportunities as we continue to build out the program.
What does a Otto Builder club need to do?
Be a Good Otto Builder
- Otto Builder Clubs will commit to a minimum of year as an active Club. That means you’ll be participating in fun challenges, building cool things together, and sharing them with the world!
- A Club pledge to uphold the Otto Builders Community Code. We’re a friendly, supportive bunch and our sharing spaces are safe and inclusive.
Hold Gatherings, Workshops or Events
- The biggest part of a Club is to gather together! You should plan to hold at least five separate events per year. They can be as long or short as you like, in whatever space you build in: your maker-space, living room, classroom, park, anywhere. Document your events by taking photos and videos and then post a short story of all realized activities here in"OttoDIY Wikifactory Stories" or just post them in your Otto Builder Club country Facebook group.
- Promote all community events in social media with #OttoDIY and #OttoBuilderClub"yourcountry" and encourage everyone to do so.
- Add or invite people to the Facebook Otto Builders groups and Otto DIY Wikifactory.
- Maintaining good communication with Otto DIY via our Otto Builder Club Leaders chat in Facebook or via email directly to Camilo if necessary for all updates.
- Help maintain our robot projects documentation up to date and proactively help other members of the community solving their issues in the forum.
- We *love* to hear from you! We’ll ask you to fill out a simple feedback survey once a year so we can keep improving the program.
Wait there’s more?
Outstanding Otto Builder Clubs will be invited to become VIP Otto Builders Clubs. These Clubs stand out in their commitment to building and to their community therefore they will have certain privileges and benefits. Certified Club Leaders have expertise in community building and outreach, learning design and pedagogy, and tips for working with robots.
How do I get started?
Click on the button bellow to fill out the application and tell us more about yourself and the Club you want to create. We will contact you within one week on the status of your application. Once you’re approved, we’ll send you next steps and your new country badge!
Building the Future of Robots Together!
We’re here to help! Please let us know in the comments, if you run into any issues along the way, have questions about how to format your event or have suggestions.